~Let’s Study America~

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Theaters to Thank

Earlier this week I went to the Music Box Theatre in Chicago for the first time. Opening in 1929, it's one of the oldest theaters in the city. Currently, the Music Box is a premiere venue for independent and foreign films. I was struck by theater's atmospheric architecture that consisted of a deep, cloudy blue ceiling, mimicking the night sky and eclectic, ornate decorations along the high walls. There was also an elaborate organ in the corner being played as my dad and I came in to take our seats.

The movie we saw was part of the Sundance Film Festival, called Two Days In New York. It was directed by french director Julie Delpy, who also played a main role in the film. Using her native language as a big part of the film, there were often English subtitles which I had to crane my head to read, due to the close-knit seating. After the screening, the co-writer Alexia Landeau, who was also an actress in the movie, was there to answer audience members' questions about the film. Julie Delpy was also available to answer questions via skype on the big screen, which was exciting.

Going to this theater was very different from seeing a movie at the places I normally go. It was an experience.  The theater wasn't showing twenty other movies at the same time, but focusing on one. This place truly appreciates the art of film, and is not concerned with having as many show-times as possible and making the most money. So, even though I had a sore neck the next day from the aforementioned neck-craning I didn't mind, because it was a part of this refreshing experience.

I think it's too bad that there aren't more of these types of theaters left today. Most of them have become very commercialized, and as I said, very clearly concerned with making money. Besides the Music Box, the only other theater in the area that hasn't given way to commercialization that I know of is  The Wilmette Theater. With movie tickets a good three dollars cheaper than at most other places, it is clear that they are less worried about making money and more concerned about the customers' experience. It is places like these that restore my hope that not everyone will give in to this growing American trend of valuing money more than the quality of experiences.

3 comments:

  1. i liked this post! it's a shame every movie i see isn't as much of an *event* as a music-box-movie. even if it seems profit is in the front of everybody's head, there will always be people that appreciate things you can't put a price on-- atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Layne, I also liked this post Sarah! I go to a lot of poetry readings and music festivals, and I also feel like the creators behind the art really care about the viewer's experience rather than making a buck. Although I know making a lot of money is a huge American theme, I think our greedy pockets have started to deplete the quality of art nowadays- particularily films. We all know that great movies are still being produced, but there are also plently of crappy ones. All a movie really needs is a hot celebrity to sell tickets, and selling tickets is the number one goal for big-name production companies. Art used to be about infecting the viewer with emotion, and sending a message about the world around us, but it's clear people have started to forget that. Why lose it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Bridget that the art of film is sometimes compromised in order to make the studios money. It is unfortunate that the American film "system" has come to this, and that really good movies are not seen by as many people because they don't have an A-list actor or advertise on every TV channel. Sarah, if you want to know more about the Music Box Theatre, I actually interviewed the manager there for my oral history project, I could give you his e-mail.

    ReplyDelete