~Let’s Study America~

Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Stroke of Genius

Yesterday I had a Genius Bar appointment at the Apple Store for the first time. I was having two issues: 1) When trying to buy a new song on iTunes I now always receive the message "Your session has timed out. Try again," and 2) My iPod recently stopped synching with my iTunes library. Lucky for me making a Genius appointment was as easy as clicking a few buttons on Apple's website.

When I got to the store, I was told to report to the "tall man with the beard and iPad"-- I didn't even have the burden of learning his name. The iPad man told me that one of the "Geniuses" would be with me shortly, and in the meantime I could look around the store. I was drawn to the new iPhone 4S, and entertained myself by checking out the apps. One, by they way, was called "Airport Sounds"with its description being: "This app contains a set of various sounds which are sure to entertain you." Maybe Don DeLillo is really on to something- Being that his characters in White Noise are often comforted by sound.

By the time my "Genius" came to help me, I had almost forgotten why I was there in the first place. How could I forget that I was there because I was unsatisfied with their product? After explaining my issues I quickly learned that they had no fix for the first problem of not being able to purchase music, and that I would have to call iTunes support for that. As for my iPod, the "Genius" played around with a couple different cords to plug it into my computer with and looked at the connection port with a flashlight. All of which took less than five minutes. She then asked me, "How would you like a new iPod, no charge?" Of course I told her that this would be great. 

I caught myself feeling very satisfied after leaving the store, thinking that I had even had fun. This soon  went away however, when I told my dad the exciting news of getting a new iPod. He told me he wasn't surprised because Apple's profits have recently been more than $1 billion a week, that they must have more money than they know what to do with. I was then reminded of the horrible Apple factory conditions we talked about in class. How many other customers received free iPods this week? How many factory workers received a higher wage? 

Why was I so easily distracted from these negative thoughts until I left the store? What does my experience reveal about the culture of consumption?

No comments:

Post a Comment